Saturday, September 5, 2015

The Good and the Bad

The four Flemish Giant babies - soaking up the sunshine and warming up their little fat tummies.
We had a batch of the sweetest little baby bunnies.... They didn't quite have their eyes open yet. I had been spending a fair amount of time down there watching them and their momma.  They knew just how to take life easy.

Today I went to feed the kritters and all 4 of them were dead.  I have no idea why.  It wasn't the mom because it wasn't that kind of kill.  I was just so sad to see the poor wee things laying there dead.  These are the days of farming.  Something got into the cage - possibly a weasel or a squirrel and bit them to death. (we had a squirrel do that last year) 

Some days you are happy for the births and some days you mourn for the deaths.  It's a cycle - one that always keeps me on my toes and always thankful for the health and well being of my animals. 

I am sad for the loss of these wee ones.... It's not really
something that I could have prevented any more than I did.  They were in the hoop house, in a safe cage... these things happen on the farm.



2 comments:

  1. oh hun... so very sorry for your loss xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Tears* so sad... I'm glad you can acknowledge that there's nothing you could have done... and look forward to the next births <3

    ReplyDelete